The Salvation Army camp programs date back to the 1890s and were held throughout the United States. Starting around 1930, Camp Lone Star in Irving, Texas, was the state-wide camp site for the Texas Division of The Salvation Army. But with the surge of urban growth west of Dallas in the 1950's, the Army had to find a new camp home.
On April 21, 1956, Camp Hoblitzelle in Midlothian, Texas, was dedicated as The Salvation Army's new camp home through a gift from the Hoblitzelle Foundation and the sale of the Camp Lone Star property. More than 1,400 campers enjoyed the first season in the new camp.
Formerly the Singleton family ranch, the historical Singleton White House is part of the site of what is now Camp Hoblitzelle. In the 1800s, the site served as a camping and watering spot for wagon trains leaving Dallas and traveling throughout Texas. John Hawkins Singleton, original owner, served under three flags of Texas during conflict: Texas Republic vs. Mexico, United States vs. Mexico and the American Civil War.
Since becoming The Salvation Army's Camp Hoblitzelle in 1956, the site has grown from its original 370 acres to more than 1,200 acres today.
Camp Hoblitzelle is used not only by The Salvation Army and children during summer camp, but also by various civic, business, school and church groups year-round.